[Sca-cooks] help with cheese

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jul 25 10:52:01 PDT 2006

> I would have to guess that Farmer Cheese is a category rather than a type.
> The kind we get here in the Midwest is a plastic-wrapped brick cheese,
> like any of the other harder cheeses. The texture is like a Havarti rather
> than anything curdlike, and IIRC it's very like the stuff I grew up with
> that was sold as "brick" cheese, which is fairly bland but not curdy. I'd
> have to buy some and test to see how it melts, since I don't remember.

That is what we get in Lancaster County PA and Central/Eastern PA also.
I've never seen pot cheese marketed as farmer cheese in these areas, so
it's probably a regionalism. I'm the one who uses 'farmer' cheese in her
cooking and I don't know what else to call it; i'm sorry if calling it
that confuses people.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net