[Sca-cooks] Chickweed pie?

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 26 11:04:35 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
This is a 19th century PA Dutch recipe, but I am wondering if this
quiche-like pie has any antecedents. Was there any use of chickweed in
medieval or 17th century German or Swiss recipes? I see plenty of references
in English herbals as to chickweed's medicinal properties, but very little
about it as a food.

Anyway, the recipe looks tasty and I may try making it in the early fall,
when the next "crop" of chickweed on my lawn comes forth.

Gianotta > > > > > >

There are lots of tarts of greens receipes from different times/locations
floating  around using bitter pot herbs of some ilk in the receipt.  I sould
suspect that chickweed was the locally plentiful and inexpensive pot herb of
choice wherever the recipe appeared.  When you have dandelion, you use
dandelion . . . when you have beet greens, etc.  I suspect even poke salat
would do the job if that was what you had.

niccolo difrancesco