[Sca-cooks] Cooking contest

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Jul 27 01:34:24 PDT 2006

Morgana mentioned:
  <<< The contest, as I recall, is a Mid-Realm thing.  I'm here on the
Aethelmearc/MK border.  I know there has been a problem in these parts
with some poorly behaved Laurels who just *lived* for entering
competitions against novices just so they could have easy wins and, of
course, be really poor sports about the whole thing.  It lead to events
simply setting up categories so that novices weren't competing against
Laurels.

This is probably related in that mindset.  I think Judith Martin has
written a lot about this phenomena of having to make rules when people
can't/won't behave. >>>

Thank you for this possible explanation. I'm sorry to think that this
might be the case. I had considered that competing against Laurels
might discourage some folks from entering, but this runs so against
my ideas of the Peerages that this explanation did not occur to me. I
find this idea rather repulsive, and I would hope the other Laurels
and Peer pressure would be able to do something about those
individuals. But apparently not.

Eliminating Laurels from competitions may solve this problem, but
IMHO it can also hurt others, both Laurels and non-Laurels.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com