[Sca-cooks] Pennsic Question

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Fri Jul 28 17:27:54 PDT 2006

~Aislinn~ wrote:

My lord and I are making plans to attend next year also. He says that
you
have to pay from whenever you hit site until the end of the war. You
cannot
daytrip, and you cannot pay for only the days you attend. Personally, I
wish the SCA would hold Pennsic during July, and all the other fringe
groups who come to our war could attend their own event in August. It
would
be the best of both worlds for the mercenary Coopers - they could double
their profit while halving attendance at each event and reducing the
stress
on their utilities. I've just become such a snob over Pennsic. It was
okay
when we shared the site with the Tuchux (it was originally theirs, after
all), but I've heard Pennsic has gotten very fringe element and less
medieval-oriented over the years. I cannot say I had a fantastic time
when
I attended in '86, so that may be clouding my judgement. I just wish
Pennsic was only SCAdian, but as long as the Coopers own the site,
that'll
never happen.

I'm sorry you had a poor experience.  I have had certain years be less
fun than others, but I have never had a Pennsic that wasn't a good one.
Often it can be the best of times and the worst of times.  But you know,
sharing the bad weather and other disasters is part of what makes it so
special.  I also look forward each year to seeing my friends that do
other things (besides SCA) and would feel much poorer for the experience
if they weren't there.  I wasn't sorry they told the Vampires they had
to quit playing their game there though - jumping out at people in the
dark is not fun (well, not all the time as a game element, anyway).
There are more fringe folks there, but there are more SCA folks as well,
there are just lots more people period.  As the SCA is a very accepting
organization, there are people at all stages of their path, and so the
landscape is a hodgepodge.  But for every
pink-hair-leather-studded-fantasty character, there are 3-5
authentic-medieval-to-their-underwear persona.
The Tuchux are still there, although they have been moved to a different
part of site.  They have an amazing enclave, and I'm sure if you have
friends among them you'll be able to see it.

I personally think the Coopers earn their money, although there are many
that feel otherwise.  I have worked closely with Cindy for many years,
and have never felt like I was treated unfairly.  This year will be my
22nd war, and I've always found the Coopers to be very accommodating and
hard working.

It has gotten big, I could do with about 3 thousand fewer people.  That
won't happen this year, as it is a 5 year (Pennsic 35), and those are
always more heavily attended.  Next year will probably be lower,
although you will get part of your wish with the date - it will be one
week earlier, starting in late July.  They have bowed to pressure from
so many people with kids going back to school earlier, so the attendance
may be higher (for the first week anyway) with younger attendees.

As for holding two events back to back there, it isn't possible.
Pennsic puts an incredible strain on the land and resources there, it
takes them quite a bit of time each year to get back to being
operational.  Some spots never recover, like the mush pit on the
Serengeti where a camp broke the rules and dug themselves a hot tub pit.
They did not remove the water when they were done and just threw dirt
back in on it.  I have not been there in a couple of years, but for 3
years after that incident that land remained uncampable because it was
mushy.  I still have the "Zero Waste Pennsic" article, I need to send it
out to my campmates.  I think we could do a lot to lessen our impact
there.

Anyhow, I've gotten long-winded.  Packing is underway here, and I'm
stalling :)

Hope you have a positive experience next year when you come, I know I'm
planning on it.

Christianna