[Sca-cooks] pennsic question

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Fri Jul 28 17:57:54 PDT 2006

ok. i may be a bit confused here....

you havent been to pennsic since the 80s? then how on earth are you
commenting about the current pennsic? or did i misunderstand???

seriously, i see more "fringe elements" at most of the other (not SCA)
events i go to than i do at pennsic... fringe being defined here as "not
apparently playing by the rules of this event".  you will always have people
playing their own thing, of course. and with an event as big as Pennsic its
inevitable.

i worry more about theft and assault than what people are wearing

what is wrong with the coopers?
i mean in an ideal world there are things i wish they would do differently,
but thats ME... and other people would disagree i am sure.

the coopers do a darn good job of putting this show on its feet every year.
Yes, i have some complaints, but in general this is a BIG production, and it
really doesnt make them as much money as people think. the expenses are
enormous!

geesh..... the way some folks complain you would think we *hired* the
coopers to work at the site for us, and we owned the site. (no, i am not
talking about you in specific. i am actually thnking about a lot of other
complaints i have heard).

yes, a lot of the coopers are a bit hard nosed about the rules, but when you
have thousands of people on site and you give one person a break, everyone
wants one... and you cant run a business that way.

Of course the coopers are mercenary.  they are *merchants*.  so am i...
this doesnt mean they are not also doing us all a lot of good.  I hate the
negative connotation with that word, however, and would advise that you not
use it if you mean that they are acting like business people.

Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
http://fabricdragon.livejournal.com/

Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

Before you leave the house: hat, water, medication if needed