[Sca-cooks] Question about coconut milk...OP

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sat Jul 29 21:45:13 PDT 2006

Dooooode! ;o) I'm looking forward to it! I may have to make it for my own,
personal Pennsic Pity Party....
It sounds very, very similar, I think, to the way I make peanut
curry--started doing it last Lent, when I was craving meat/gravy/etc.,
although I already liked the curries I'd had at a local Thai place over the
years.  My basic curry sauce is a can of coconut milk (unable to find a
local source for unsweetened coconut to make my own), a glomp of crunchy
peanut butter, a few Tblspoons of fish sauce, varying amounts of red curry
paste (depending on intended audience).  Good with shrimp or chicken.  Use
fresh cilantro and lime to finish, if I have it.  mmmmm.....
I had to make do with Vietnamese spring rolls (steamed shrimp, lettuce,
cilantro, bean sprouts and cold noodles, wrapped in rice paper and served
with a sweetish peanut-based sauce) today, and a dish of grilled lemon grass
beef with rice noodles...mmmmm.....
(My excuse was, it's just been too d at mned hot to cook, and besides, I was in
the neighborhood buying a skein of sock yarn and some yarn for a children's
knitting charity.....)
--Maire