[Sca-cooks] Pennsic history

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Jul 29 23:20:37 PDT 2006

Alys Katharine mentioned:
<<<
 > It would be the best of both worlds for the mercenary Coopers

The term "mercenary" sounds derogatory.  They run a business just
like any
other business.  They do not gouge the SCA nor the people who attend
Pennsic.  They don't raise the prices in their store.  They have gone
out
of their way to add facilities (such as an ATM, an on-site bank and post
office), additional water lines, etc., to benefit our event.  This has
caused their taxes to be raised and they pay much more each time they
imnprove their property so that we can get to the far parking lot, have
camp sites, and so on.  >>>

Well, some of these improvements get used by other campers throughout
the year such as much of the increased water system and the ATM. The
post office is provided by the US postal service, although it may
require coordination with the Coopers. The water lines through the
Serrengetti and not planting corn in what otherwise is a producing
asset, does cost the Coopers money. The leases they have been using
for the parking lot shuttle, and year before last instead of the hay
wagons, are leased from the local school district, so they aren't a
capital expense.

They and the local economy profit get a substantial boost from
Pennsic. Some of you may remember a number of years ago that several
PA state troopers sat just down the road pulling folks over and
ticketing them for having the parking permit tags hanging from their
mirrors. IMHO, this was strictly a stunt to fill the local tax
coffers. That cost many SCA folk money they were needing for gas and
meals to get home. When word got back to Pennsic, and the Coopers,
apparently the Coopers made a few calls and the troopers disappeared
not to reappear in succeeding years.

<<<
 > (snip) It was okay when we shared the site with the Tuchux (it was
 > originally theirs, after all),

Actually, I believe that this theory has been disproved.  They did
not find
the site first.  I think there's a web article somewhere that
explains what
really transpired.  Stefan might know where it is. >>>

Well, with a comment like that, how could I resist, :-) although I
wasn't sure I could find it. There may be more, but here is what I
found in my Pennsic history file.

P-history-msg     (88K)  5/21/04    Pennsic history.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/PENNSIC/P-history-msg.html

Stefan