[Sca-cooks] wood lathe and buses at Pennsic

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 30 21:31:13 PDT 2006

Haraldr Bassi replied to me with:
-------
Stefan li Rous wrote:
 > Aislinn commented:

 > <<< Personally, I
 > wish the SCA would hold Pennsic during July, and all the other fringe
 > groups who come to our war could attend their own event in August.>>>
 >
 > I doubt the non-SCA folks attend Pennsic because it is in August.
 > They attend because it is Pennsic. And the non-SCA groups can be a
 > boost to Pennsic, not necessarily a detriment. It was at my first
 > Pennsic, Pennsic 21, that I saw someone working with a pole lathe. It
 > was in a camp on the Serrangetti, and the group was not SCA. They
 > were a reenactment group and their camp was much more authentic than
 > the surrounding SCA camps.

Can you describe what their camp looked like? If it is the people I
think it was then it was an SCA household. But perhaps it was someone
else with the spring pole.
-------

Not really, although they were on the same block or only a block or
two away from Ansteorra on the Serringetti. That was 13 years ago.
This was the first time I remember seeing someone using a pole lathe,
so it stood out in my memory. I remember that the camp looked much
more authentic than the surrounding camps and I seemed to remember
them saying they were not an SCA group. That was my first Pennsic and
I didn't even know that most of the area down by the lake even
existed until Pennsic 23. I didn't really see the far corners of the
Serrengetti until late in the week, and the Serrengetti was much
smaller then than it is now. I did get down to the Enchanted Ground
for one of Master Cariadoc's bardic fires, though.  I think that year
most of the classes were held below the barn on Runestone Hill.

For those that are new to Pennsic or are returning after a pause, I
highly recommend hopping on one of the hay wagons or the busses if
they've continued to replace the wagons with these since Pennsic 33,
and simply ride a complete loop or two to get an overview of Pennsic.

Unfortunately the wagon/bus stops used to be shown on the map in the
Pennsic booklet, but as Pennsic expanded and they kept to the same
two pages for the map, things got smaller and harder to read, and
some things like the bus/wagon route and the stops got eliminated.
But catch it when you can, and ride it. That will also let you know
where it goes.

For more on pole lathes, see these files in the CRAFTS section of the
Florilegium:  :-)
mkng-a-p-lathe-art (12K)  2/15/04    "An Easily Made Primitive Lathe"
                                        by Master Magnus Malleus.
p-lathes-bib      (16K)  7/ 2/03    Bibliography on period lathes and
turned
                                        objects by Master Magnus
Malleus.
woodworking-msg   (50K)  4/24/05    Woodworking tools and techniques.
wood
                                         finishes.

Stefan
--------