[Sca-cooks] Summer foods...including Gumbo recipe

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 30 22:13:40 PDT 2006

Mairie commented:
<<< Hmmm....that looks like it might be good for our next guild
night.  Does it
reheat okay? >>>

More or less. The okra tends to get squishy-ier. But then I prefer my
okra that way compared to crunchy.

<<< I've heard about gumbo, but never really actually eaten it.  We
have a tiny little restaurant in town that does cajun and creole
stuff, but I haven't been in in years.  >>>

Gumbo can be found frozen and canned in the stores, although it isn't
is good as fresh.

<<< They're in the back of this dive bar, and
there's an awful lot of cigarette smoke.... >>>

Yes, I was rather happy when Austin eliminated the smoking from bars
and such as well as the restaurants. There's a bar here, Texas Chili
Parlor, which serves excellent chili and  chili enchiladas and such,
but I didn't like the smoke and it was pretty impossible for my wife.
So, now we can go there again.

<<< --Maire, who can get file powder at her local herb store
(Butterfly--
same place I buy my coffee, cubebs, and grains of paradise....) >>>

It's not available with the other spices in your local grocery store?
I guess we're closer to Louisiana, although we are still five hours
away. What else is file powder used in? Gumbo is about all I can
think of, right now.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas