[Sca-cooks] have more fun at pennsic, was Pennsic question

Kirsten Houseknecht kirsten at fabricdragon.com
Mon Jul 31 10:03:43 PDT 2006

i get crowd phobic as well, and have lethal allergies to cigarette smoke..so
any large event is a bit stressful for me.
that said......(in no order)

1. try to have a car or ride available.  one trip into town per week for
fresh food and air conditioning can make a big difference in your mood.

2. try to find a way to pack a "treat" of some kind. In my case its sugar
free sweets. For others its fresh bread.. for some folks its clean sheets.
whatever.

3. bring clothes enough for any weather, and bring enough under things that
you dont *have* to do laundry.  you can wear the same outerwear every day
and still feel ok if you have clean under things, chemises, and etc. I try
to never do laundry at Pennsic.  those little hand crank washers do work for
undies and stuff......

4. beg, borrow, buy a *large* tent, preferably a period one. and get a rain
fly for it if you can.  they are loads more comfie than any modern tent.
but even a modern tent is better if you have one whole room that becomes
your "dressing" room.
I camped for years in a two room tent where each side had room for a queen
bed.  one side was the "bedroom" and the other was the "living room" where i
kept my clothes, and a chair, and my stuff.

5. ditch the kids, or pool resources with another bunch of parents so you
all get time off.  also dont forget the kids area of Pennsic.
(if you take kids, keep them well hydrated. dehydration makes kids even
whinier!)

6. pack everything in plastic tubs, that way you dont stress if it rains.

7. keep dry clothes in the car, or seperate from your main stuff.

8. offer to work at a merchant booth that you like.  people come to *you*
and you have a table between you and them most times.  (this is one reason i
merchant. i stay in my comfort zone in familar environs, and my friends come
see ME)

9.  lemon drink.   its a good thing.  they will make you a lime one if you
bring them the lime.  they will make it with your own sweetener if you bring
it too!

10. watch your health.  you will not have a good time if your health is
suffering.

and remember, you *always* hear more complaints than compliments about
anything.  check out how many people go back every year.. look at how many
people travel how far to go every year.....
Kirsten Houseknecht
Fabric Dragon
kirsten at fabricdragon.com
www.fabricdragon.com
http://fabricdragon.livejournal.com/

Philadelphia, PA     USA
Trims, Amber, Jet, Jewelry, and more...

Before you leave the house: hat, water, medication if needed