[Sca-cooks] Pennsic question

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Mon Jul 31 13:59:38 PDT 2006

> Must be similar to the ones I've heard! And I meant "mercenary" as in
> greedy, because that's the main complaint I've heard about the Coopers.
> Although I must say I absolutely respect the fact that they have to act
> like business people and be hard-nosed when necessary. I think my main
> lament is that the SCA has no real control over Pennsic.

My lady, I beg to disagree. Mostly, the people who have control over
Pennsic are SCAdians. That can in fact be the trouble; people chasing
coronets or who are just plain opinionated running things, and possibly
screwing over the people who do the actual work; and because we are such
a live and let live culture, the only way things get changed or fixed is
in retrospect. Pennsic has a huge budget fund into which the event
profits go (it's not like the entire net gets turned over to the
Coopers) after which SCAdians squabble viciously about how it will be
spent.

As for me, I treat it as a conference with poor accomodations, and while
I dread going out there every year, I treasure some of the memories I
have made there and the things I have learned and the people I have met.
That's what keeps me coming back.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net