[Sca-cooks] help for 1250 French/Greek

Ana Valdes agora158 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 02:07:53 PDT 2006

There is a two books about Venetian food and about Istamboul food, but
there are in French. Venise exquise, written by Jean Clausel and
Istamboul la magnifique, written by Artun et Beyhan Unsal. (I guess
Venice, where East and West met, had similar food to Cyprus)
Publisher Robert Laffont.
For all Greek food I should take Siren Feasts, by Andrew Dalby, with
excellent annotations and recipes from the archaic Greece to
Byzantium.
Ana

On 7/4/06, Volker Bach <carlton_bach at yahoo.de> wrote:
> > >  I was curious if you had any help finding documentation for a potential
> >
> > Art/Sci project.  My personna is a French women (originally from Troyes)
> > who went on the 7th Crusade (1251) with King Louis as a      >retainer to
> > the Countess of Champaigne and also to assist Margaret (Louis' wife) who
> > was pregnant and delivered in Damietta.  My personna ended up marrying a
> > gentle who belonged to the Order of Santiago >de Compostela and we are in
> > charge of running a sugar plantation on the island of Cyprus (probably near
> > Paphos).  I would love to serve a luncheon/banquet for the next Art/Sci
> > judges that would be completely >representative of what I would serve.  I
> > have some documentation from Joinville's account that they had wheat,
> > barley, rice, cumin and sugar, but not much else.  Any help would be
> > greatly appreciated.
>
> This is going to be hard. From what (little) I know of the cuisine of Outremer
> it appears that they adopted many traditions of the Mediterranean, but
> retained a separate culinary identity. So even if we had a Byzantine cookbook
> (Dalby's Flavours of Byzantium contains excerpts from the Goponica and
> dietetic textes that are our closest approaches to that), we can not really
> be sure that this would reflect what a Latin would eat.
>
> Looking at dietetic texts might help. Several such treatises originated in
> Salerno, the Regimen Sanitatis being the most popular, and IIRC the Tacuinum
> was also in common circulation by then. That could help you get behind the
> idea of what was considered appropriate food, and from there you can look at
> what was available on Cyprus (probably a good place for luxury eating, and
> for seafood) and go from there.
>
> The closest I can come geographically and temporally is the second half of the
> Liber de Coquina, an early 14th century manuscript from Southern italy
> compiled from two sources, one French, the other South Italian, and probably
> a retranslation from a vernacular original of the 13th century. It shows a
> recognisably European cuisine with noticeable Arab influence. It thus looks
> like the Anglo-Norman Cookery Books and the Enseignements, though more
> northerly, would also make defensible sources for inspiration.
>
> And whatever you do, don't miss the chance to serve honey-sesame or honey-nut
> brittle. :-)
>
> Giano

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth
with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you
will always long to return.
— Leonardo da Vinci