[Sca-cooks] Sugars

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 6 07:37:41 PDT 2006

Debra Hense/Kateryn de Develyn wrote:
> I found the following two sugars in my SuperTarget store.  Maybe they are in one near you too.
> Billington's:  Dark Brown Molasses Sugar and Light Brown Muscovado Sugar
> I found them in the sugar/flour baking supplies section.  For a pound they run about two dollars less than Williams-Sonoma.
> I like both for their flavor.  When working with a medieval recipe calling for black sugar - I use the dark brown molasses sugar.  When calling just for sugar - I tend to use the light brown muscovado sugar.
> You should try them in your recipes instead of plain white.  It adds a whole new level of flavor.
> Kateryn de Develyn
Oh yes, great stuff!

In parts of the US where Latin American products are sold, they offer
"piloncillo", Mexican cone sugar, made in the same way as hundreds of
years ago.  I use it in cooking and sometimes place it on the table with
a grater so diners may "strew with sugar" to their own taste.

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/piloncillomexicansugar.htm

Selene