[Sca-cooks] Fish Roe

Daniel Myers eduard at medievalcookery.com
Thu Jul 6 20:48:24 PDT 2006

On Jul 6, 2006, at 11:36 PM, Craig Jones wrote:

> I was making my thrice-weekly pilgrimage to the local asian
> grocery store which is always a voyage of discovery...
>
> Lunch today was no different.  I've scored some fish roe
> (about half a pound of it).  Not your standard caviar but 2
> inch long creamy coloured organs covered with a lacy network
> of bright red blood vessels.  Very soft consistency...

This sounds more like "soft roe", which is actually the ... um ...
spermatozoa producing organ (testes?) of the male fish.  It's
sometimes used in Japanese cuisine (showed up occasionally on Iron
Chef).  I don't know for sure though, since I've never had direct
experience with either soft roe or fish ovaries.

One way to check might be to look at the contents.  When you cut it
open, are there eggs inside?

- Doc

--
  Edouard Halidai  (Daniel Myers)