[Sca-cooks] help with a pie

Anne-Marie Rousseau dailleurs at liripipe.com
Fri Jul 7 09:33:41 PDT 2006

on pies:

yes, chilling the crust would have let it bake before it slumped a bit better. like
how you prebake a shell and it sometimes slumps on the edges?

also, overfilling the shell so that as teh fruit cooked down, you were left with a
space helps (my homemade fruit pies will often have this by accident. grr. blue
ribbon pies dont do that. oh well. I tended to enter pickles in teh fair anyway.)

lastly, the amoutn of "slump" is very much dictated by the type of crust. a
sturdier crust will be less likely to slump (many of the period recipes for pie
crust yield a sturdy dough indeed...). a soft dough will slump more. I learned this
the hard way...the test recipe for my parma tarts had pretty little sturdy
crenellations. when we did it forthe banquet, in a hot kitchen with store bought
dough, they all slumped something fierce and it was very very sad.

(another life lesson...do your test with EXACTLY the same
brands/recipe/ingredients/conditions for a true test....)

hope this helps some! (raspberry cream tart sounds very yummy, by the way :))

--Anne-Marie
On Fri Jul  7 11:44 , Devra at aol.com sent: