[Sca-cooks] OOP - Cooking at Alton's House

Mairi Ceilidh jjterlouw at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 12 20:46:44 PDT 2006

You know, you could become one of those people I love to hate.  That sounds
like the most fun catering job ever.  Have fun and play it to the hilt.

Mairi Ceilidh

I get called for the most curious things.

This afternoon I was offered a job for next Tuesday night.  It seems
that the house that was built for Alton Brown's "Good Eats" episodes is
going up for sale.  The realty company that is handling it is planning a
party to have people come and visit the house before it goes on sale,
and they want a chef to come and do a cooking-entertaining-eating
demonstration during the party since the place was built for a cooking
show.  The first thing I heard was that Alton was going to do it, but
has broken his leg on his motorcycle while filming episodes of his
upcoming "Dining on Asphalt".  I don't know if that is all true, but I'm
sure I'll get the details later.

I have 5 days to plan, shop, practice, prep, and perform!  I have two
and a half hours to fill.  They are providing cheese and wine.  I will
be giving out small samples of whatever I cook, so it should be things
in roughly 1 oz. portions.  I do not know yet if I will have access to
equipment and materials there, but I will be purchasing and bringing in
all of the food.

I have several ideas starting to float around in my brain.  Things that
should be considered are techniques that are 'showy' - I figure anything
that starts with a roasted red pepper over open flame is good.  I might
also have to use this as the excuse I haven't needed to break down and
buy a hand-held torch and use it for mini Baked Alaskas or something.
Flame=Good.  It should be things that are good in small portions.  I
have no set theme or restrictions, I'll have a couple of bucks a head in
food cost.  I could do tapas-style plates, I could start with an
appetizer and work my way through a mini meal, I could showcase all
medieval ingredients for that matter.

So what would you cook?

Should be fun, and can you say "extra money for Pennsic" ?

:-)

Christianna
aka Chef Christy