[Sca-cooks] take 2: spanish feast part III: meat/pork dish

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Mon Jul 17 06:51:04 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
The very lean loin is the only pork I use anymore.  Yes ... one can slowcook
it until the meat begins to fall appart.

Cheers
Malkin
Jo (Georgia L.) Foster
jo_foster81 at hotmail.com>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Alrighty.  I now believe that can be done.  Can you tell me how the texture
compares to a shoulder or a ham, from any previous experiences you've had?
I would think intuitively that the loin would be less succulent, and drier.
Probably your reason for using it since it has less fat and connective
tissues.

I'm on the more gelatinous cuts for the period braised dishes, though.
Given the several decades of genetic leaning down of modern pork, I contend
that the chuck and it's ilk are our best chance to replicate results of the
period recipes.  We don't get the thick back fat for lard in modern
slaughter stock, so we won't get the commensurate marbling that will
contibute to intense flavors.  This is all contention from an understanding
that breeds are different, and regions had different breeds at different
times.  The dish in question would be great with lamb, I would believe, and
with one of the traditional "stewing" sections of the carcass.

nicolo difrancesco