[Sca-cooks] First cookbooks....

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jul 18 09:38:11 PDT 2006

> This was my first cookbook:
>
> Crocker, Betty.
> Cook book for boys and girls.

I had the 1970s one; my uncle gave it to me when I was about 7 (they
lived in the other apt. in our house) and started helping me learn to
cook by myself, to comfort me when my brothers were born (yes, I was a
spoilt brat whose system was shocked by no longer being an only
child...)

By the time I was 9, I started checking kids cookbooks out of the
library and had mastered some basic cooking. When I was about 13, I took
over doing most of the cooking for our family because my father was in
and out of the hospital and my mom worked late.

Most of my early cooking was out of my mom's 1960s vintage Fannie
Farmer, and I asked for a copy of Fanny Farmer when I went out on my
own; I was devastated to learn how many of the useful recipes and
information had been eliminated in the late 1980s/early 1990s edition--
meat cut information, and information on roasting meats in particular.

My first period cookbook would have been Pleyn Delit, and I cooked only
one recipe from it-- Armored Turnips. Then I ended up getting Redon et.
al, The Medieval Kitchen, and I was happy.

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net