[Sca-cooks] more spanish stuff: Limonada

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Jul 20 12:39:28 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
<<<SNIP>>>

It was so popular and delicious that after putting it on the chicken,
the diners then put it on anything suitable, grains, vegetables,
etc., then began dunking their bread in it, and i think in the end
some people may have put it in their soup bowls and drunk it, even
though it isn't a beverage :-)

I've got my recipe on my website:
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah/Food/2000_Boar_Hunt/2000-1st.html

I still thank Brighid, who offered me several yummy recipes
--
Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita   > > > > > > > >

I just hit the link and it sounds like something I'm gonna try this week.
Sounds like several of the Italianoid versions (ick region and text).  I'll
do it slightly differently, though after reading the original text through.
Not at all to take away from your recipe or success.

The original says to grind the raisins, which I will do.  I alos will try a
lower ratio of broth:lemon:sugar.  I'll put in the lemon juice at the end
for a brighter punch of lemon, and to see how it turns out using the
technique in the text.   Mine will be a different texture, I suppose if I
use less sugar.  the ratio of broth to sugar in Anahit's recipe is 4:3 and
would give quite a syrup on cooking, though the 12 cups of lemon juice would
certainly cut that.  So, final syrup ratios for liquid(Broth/Juice) to Sugar
were 2:1 . . . . simple syrup proportions. If I don't maintain that sort of
ration, the texture will definitely change.  Grinding the currants should
make a difference in that regard, too, and add more perceived sweetness than
whole (happened that way with red mustards anyway).

Now that I've spent so much time thinking about making to the author's text,
I'm gonna go "modern it up".  My wife may like it served with diced chicken
(or shrimp), sliced artichoke hearts and broccoli over basmati rice or
pasta.  I'd dice up some tomato for it, too, but she isn't so fond of raw
'maters.  Depending on final sweetness, a little feta might be a sharp
counterpoint as well.

thanks for the inspiration for Saturday's dinner!!

niccolo difrancesco