[Sca-cooks] new translation was Russian food - zakuskas

ekoogler1 at comcast.net ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Fri Jul 21 05:32:44 PDT 2006

From: "Stephanie Ross" <hlaislinn at earthlink.net>
> Oh Kiri, this is WONDERFUL!! I can't believe my wistful request would be
> answered so quickly! (Doing the happy dance around the house!) He found
> sour cream three times so far!?! I swear I didn't find it anywhere in
> Pouncy's translation. He definitely needs to concentrate on the foodstuff
> parts that she glossed over.
<major snippage...>

> Please have him translate the recipes, for god's sake!! :)  I'd like to
> know what it says about the sour cream too. Feel free to give him my email
> Mistress Kiri. And THANK YOU! Maire, would you be so kind as to cc me
> during your discussion? Is Lord Mikhail stationed in this country? If we
> could just get one SCAdian food scholar who reads Russian into Russia to
> see if there are other manuscripts... (yeah, I know, dream on).
>
> ~Aislinn~

As his wife is a cook and also has a Russian persona, I suspect he'll definitely do the recipes.  He knows that I'm also interested in them.  He told me that he's very unhappy with the Pouncy translation and that's why he's working on one of his own.  Lucky us!!

He is stationed here in Maryland, and at present makes frequent trips to various parts of Russia, which is where he gets a lot of his material.  However, I believe their lives are about to change...either he'll be getting out of the Army and looking for private employment or they may be transferred to another post.  The problem is that there isn't quite as much of a need for Russian translators in the military any more, especially at Fort Meade.

I will pass your message on to him...I don't have his addy here at work but will do so this evening when I get home.

Good to hear from you again!

Kiri