[Sca-cooks] help with cheese

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Jul 21 08:03:12 PDT 2006

On Jul 21, 2006, at 10:28 AM, Devra at aol.com wrote:

> There used to be a kind of cheese available here in NYC called 'pot
> cheese'
> when I was a kid (baaaa) It was what was called for in our
> cheesecake recipe -
> a  bit drier than farmer cheese IIRC.  Haven't looked for it in
> many years
> though.
>     Devra

Up until the 1960's or so, real delicatessens (and other markets with
human employees who weighed out and wrapped foods to order) sold pot
cheese in bulk. As I recall, the main difference between it and
cottage cheese was that it had no added milk or cream -- cottage
cheese is basically curds drained of whey and re-moistened with cream
or milk. Pot cheese may be dryer than farmer cheese, but it's a
little less cohesive.

Adamantius (who grew up one county/borough away from Devra)