[Sca-cooks] Roux vs. Gravy recipes

Katherine Throckmorton kthrockmorton at lycos.com
Sun Jul 23 23:20:08 PDT 2006

Mordonna wrote:

> Three kinds of Milk Gravy:

Heresy!  There is only One True Way to make Milk Gravy.

> 1. Take two or three tablespoons of pan drippings and twice as much plain
> flour, and form a classic roux.  Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of
> black pepper, then gradually stir in 2 cups of milk, stirring constantly
> until it comes to a low boil, then quickly remove from the heat and serve
> hot.

This is the One True Way to make Milk Gravy.  All others are false and likely to lead to Lumps.  Lumps are creatures of evil and must be avoided by those who would follow the Way of Milk Gravy. :)

Seriously, the above is pretty much how my grandma taught me to make gravy.  The exception being that I was taught to do it by eye, so if I were to write the recipe it would be:

Scrape the cruncy bits off of the bottom of the pan.  Then add enough flour to soak up the grease, without making it too thick and pasty.  Stir constantly while adding the flour, so as to avoid Lumps.  When the flour is cooked but only slightly brown, add enough milk to thin out the flour to the proper consistency, which is just slightly thicker than milk.  Then add a couple of grinds of pepper and a pinch of salt.  When the gravy is thick remove from the heat and serve over mashed potatoes or bread.

> 2. Heat two to three tablespoons of pan drippings until it begins to
> "sizzle".

I was taught that method #2 was a sure way to get lumpy gravy.

> 3.	Substitute 2 or three tablespoons of corn starch and cool water for
> the flour and warm water in number two.  This is the one I prefer, as it is
> much less likely to form lumps.

I've tried this method, and I don't care for the taste of the corn starch, although it is the easiest way to avoid lumps.  As you may have figured out, I'm a bit of a snob about gravy making.  Mainly since I was taught that making good (not too thin, not too thick, lump free) was the mark of a good cook.

-Katherine