[Sca-cooks] Pokeweed was RE: Chickweed pie?

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 26 11:19:42 PDT 2006

-----Original Message-----
There are lots of tarts of greens receipes from different times/locations
floating  around using bitter pot herbs of some ilk in the receipt.  I sould
suspect that chickweed was the locally plentiful and inexpensive pot herb of
choice wherever the recipe appeared.  When you have dandelion, you use
dandelion . . . when you have beet greens, etc.  I suspect even poke salat
would do the job if that was what you had.

niccolo difrancesco  > > > > > > >

I hate quoting myself, but it made me think to look up Poke Weed in case
someone asked.  Sooooo.  I found out that it the obnoxious purple-stemmed
almost tree-like weed with purple berries and white to purple blossoms that
grows in my yard too often.  I found a couple of websites about it.  Poke
Sallet is the prepared young, tender leaves of poke weed plants.  they grow
wild in fields and wherever birds may "deposit" the seeds from the berries
they ingested.

http://www.robsplants.com/plants/PhytoAmeri.php

http://www.watersheds.org/nature/poke.htm

Some places even harvest and sell Poke Leaves in jars by mail order!  What
would poor Poke Sallet Annie say!

niccolo