[Sca-cooks] Cooking contest

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 28 16:23:01 PDT 2006

>I think  that emphasizing competition as a way to choose Laurels is
>extremely short-sighted and very biased towards those people who a) enjoy
>competitions
>(I  don't); and b)compete well.

>Brangwayna Morgan

That's funny because I was told one of the things that was keeping me
from becoming a Laurel is because I don't enter A&S. I'm a very good
A&S cooking judge and can teach others how to do a good A&S entry,
but I just hate doing it myself. I still feel that my version of A&S is
to create a period feast with documentation and it be enjoyed by the
populace.

But I was told that I didn't "jump through the hoops" of entering A&S and
teaching and putting on at least one major feast a year. Now, I agree that
I've pretty much retired from cooking so I've hung up my desires for the
Leaves but I still chafe at the thought that in order for me to be
considered
for a Laurel, A&S competitions are more important than feeding people.

And the funny thing is that one of the best cooking Laurels I know became
one based a lot on her awesome abiity in A&S competitions.

At the same time I have to admit to feeling a little hypocritical in stating
that feast cooks should be considered the same as competition cooks and
yet in the Belted Circle I hold candidates who might be gods of the melee
field yet mediocre on the tourney field in lesser regard.

So I definately understand the A&S competition mindset.

Gunthar