[Sca-cooks] Pennsic question

Stephanie Ross hlaislinn at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 29 07:55:45 PDT 2006

Brangwayna Morgan wrote:
<<If you have not attended since 1986, how can you make any judgement as to
what Pennsic is like 20 years later, or be able to be a snob about it??? I
have been attending for 16 years and I can tell you that the number of
period
tents has increased hugely; the overall look of camps has improved; the
overall
number of people in relatively authentic garb (most of it 14th century,
because that's what is easily available from the merchants, but at least
it's
available) has increased greatly, and the number of classes on authentic
techniques and tourneys fought in period style has increased greatly.
Overall,
Pennsic is far MORE authentic than it was when I started in about 1990.
Mind you, I also think some of the fringe elements have gotten wierder and
therefore more noticeable, but my overall view is a huge improvement from
when
I started.>>

You are right, I have no place passing judgement on Pennsic when I haven't
been there in 20 years. I think your description of how it has improved is
the first real positive thing I've heard about Pennsic in years. So, I'll
keep my big, opinionated mouth shut if you all who go to Pennsic will post
about how much fun you've had this year and why I would like to be there! I
definely want to go to meet all of you and the members of the SIG list. I
just dread the being dirty for two weeks and having to bring my children.
Although, their daddy lives in Baltimore, and he can take them for two
weeks. Hmm, I feel better already! I did have a lot of fun when I went, I
must admit, but the full two weeks was just too long. I also carpooled, so
I didn't have any way to leave site to get away. Luckily, my lord's aunt
lives in Beaver, about 20 minutes away, so if I start getting crowd-phobic
and don't want to stay til the end we can go visit her.

Your point is taken about the cleanup involved when we leave. In theory
there shouldn't be much except for garbage in bags due to the "leave it
cleaner than you found it" creed we espouse. However, I know how much
garbage we leave behind after one of our Kingdom events (we always camp
here in Trimaris, at every event. If it's not camping, it practically
considered just a revel.), so I can only imagine the tons of garbage after
Pennsic. Even if it's bagged it has to be a huge mess. How many people go
to Pennsic these days?

~Aislinn~
Et si omnes ego non.

"The care of human life and happiness and not their destruction is the
first and only legitimate object of good government." --Thomas Jefferson to
Maryland Republicans, 1809.