[Sca-cooks] Summer foods...

Elaine Koogler ekoogler1 at comcast.net
Sat Jul 29 19:21:27 PDT 2006

Sue Clemenger wrote:
> Okay, so maybe it's not a weird food for some of you, but it's pretty
> uncommon around here...
> What am I talking about? Why, okra, of course! I saw it for sale tonight in
> the fresh produce section of my local grocer.  I've never had it except in
> canned, chicken gumbo soup (Campbell's, IIRC), and although I've got a vague
> recollection that it might be edible dipped in a batter or cracker crumbs
> and deep-fried, how else would a person cook it?

It is excellent rolled in cornmeal and fried...closely resembles popcorn
as a snack!  I don't deep fry it, but rather do it in my iron skillet
with a little oil.  It's also excellent in fresh gumbo...you add it as
the VERY LAST thing just before serving...otherwise it takes on the
rather slimey texture that so many folks don't like.  My grandmother
from south of Atlanta used to lay whole okra pods on her green beans to
steam just before serving, but I never really cared for it.
> On an entirely different note, I would like to celebrate the fact with y'all
> (and I know you'll understand) that this week, for the first time *ever* in
> my adult life (and there's been a fair amount of *that* water under the
> bridge!), I was able to eat fresh tomatoes from my very own garden.  Oh.
> My.  Gawd.  I'm in luuuuuuv.......

Yup...only way to go.  I had some fresh from the local Farmers Market
today for lunch...sliced into a tomato sandwich...nothing else, just
tomato, mayo and a really good multi-grain bread.
> --Maire, surviving the heat and smoke with fresh tomato sammiches....;o)

I only wish I could hand each of you a slice of the fresh cantaloupe we
get here in the late summer.  The sandy soil here grows HUGE, incredibly
sweet melons.  The one my sweetie picked up today is as big as a small
watermelon! Southern Maryland is a great place to be for fresh fruits
and veggies in the summer!

Kiri