[Sca-cooks] Cooking contest

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 30 00:53:42 PDT 2006

Master Adamantius commented:
  <<< One thing I did when I was MoAS for the Southern Region of my
Kingdom
was to push for alternatives, most notably the non-competitive A&S
display/expo. The best of them are run like a professional trade
show, with each entrant having a little stall or table, sitting and
shooting the breeze with all comers about the pieces on display.
Sometimes (and this is my fave) the artist will sit and work on a
piece right in the stall, which is both informative and also great
theater. Highlights of the first one we did included Brighid ni
Chiarain's display of peach pits and bizcochos, Jadwiga's sauce
display (mostly, but not exclusively, mustards, IIRC), with a gentle
from my group assembling a stained-glass window nearby, and Andrea
MacIntyre's display of apple dishes and documentation on the other
side. >>>

Ohhhh. Sounds like a display I could really like. My only concern is
a little bit selfish. If I'm doing a display/teaching when do *I* get
to see all this other neat stuff?

We did one series of like stuff at our fall camping event years ago.
I attempting to do pewter casting over a charcoal fire instead of my
usual electric melting pot. I'd love to do this again, now that I
know things like needing a different pot, which I now have, and more
than a few charcoal chunks to get enough heat to melt the pewter. :-)
Still, apparently some folks were impressed enough that I got a Sable
Thistle (AoA level A&S award) that evening for my pewter casting work.

How about writing up an article for the Florilegium on these
alternatives to the standard A&S contest?

<<< On one occasion when I actually got to participate in one such
display (instead of running it, I mean), I sat in a corner of a huge,
crowded room, quietly applying silver leaf to a pie filled with
quinces. >>>

I'd like to see this done. We've talked about adding gold and silver
leaf here, but I've never seen it done in person.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com