[Sca-cooks] Pilgrim's Picnic Basket

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Mon Jul 31 04:16:26 PDT 2006

On Jul 31, 2006, at 3:18 AM, Mark S. Harris wrote:

> But they are not made that often in the Current Middle Ages,
> certainly not on the ratio they were done in the real Middle Ages.
> I'd like to see your documentation on your small ale as well.

IIRC it was one of the recipes in Digby's Closet, for a plain,
unhopped, small ale made from the palest possible malt. I'm not sure
I could tell you much more than that, at this point.

> Where did you get the green nuts (for the compot/compost)? Unless I
> had my own trees I'm not sure where I'd find these today.

I was lucky enough to find them in one of the local markets that
caters to a largely Middle Eastern clientele.

> Would you be willing to let me add your article to the Florilegium,
> giving credit to the TI article and the Ostgardr website, of course.
> Although I'm not quite sure whether it would be more appropriate in a
> food section or the one on A&S competitions and such.
>
> <<< At the time, it was much talked about in the A&S
> community because it got the first perfect score total in the history
> of an event known for stiff competition. >>>
>
> I think you make a few assumptions, without much evidence to back
> them up, that I would have questioned. But then I'm probably overly
> critical.  Or maybe it's having been on this list so long.

It's also possible I would reach different conclusions if I were
doing this today. (I mean, it's only a little more than 20% of my
life in the interim, right?) In that time, the standard of research
among hobbyists in that field has probably changed,  and it's also
possible I've made what could appear to be leaps of logic when in
fact I'm simply failing to adequately describe my reasoning process
and justify my conclusion. There are also space limitations in TI
articles, so it's possible essential material was cut, either by me
(presumably out of desperation) or by the editors (possibly out of
desperation, or out of ignorance).

It's hard, sometimes, to look at published articles from years and
years ago, because it's like those arguments where you know, after
the fact, just what you should have said, but not only is it too late
to take it back, but in addition, your original statements were
pretty widely publicized (not to mention archived). It's a bit like
defending a dissertation for the rest of your life...

I'll probably regret asking this ;-) , but what were you referring to?

Adamantius