[Sca-cooks] leather cooking vessels

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 9 19:59:02 PDT 2006

Aislinn said:
<<< Thanks for the Cyprus cookery help and whisk info. Now I am hunting
Saxon leather cooking vessel fragments. Your Florilegium is the most
fabulous
resource Stefen; you are a God! Thanks everyone again.>>>

Well, thank you Aislinn. But I'm not even a Peer, much less a god!

What is this about Saxon leather cooking vessels? How would you cook
in them? Drop in hot rocks warmed in the fire/coals? I know you
aren't supposed to put pottery vessels over the fire, just coals and
I imagine that leather pots are even less durable.

Yes, you can boil water in a paper cup, but this usually results in
burning away the paper not immersed in the liquid. I doubt you would
want to do that with your leather pot.

pottery-cookng-msg(22K)  5/15/06    Cooking in clay pots. Do and don’ts.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-UTENSILS/pottery-cookng-msg.html

Stefan
Hmmm. I wonder if a "god" ranks higher than a "Peer". :-)
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com