[Sca-cooks] Anyone made salt cod?

Kathleen Madsen kmadsen12000 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 15 15:45:54 PDT 2006

I coated some nice, fresh cod fillets with salt and
then wrapped in two layers of cheesecloth.  After
about five days they had not lost an appreciable
amount of moisture and I felt the process was not
working.  So I took the fillets and put them in a
large ziplock bag and emptied out my 1/2 box of kosher
salt on top of them.  This was yesterday.

I should mention, the fillets have been under constant
refrigeration and I was following the directions
specified in the Ruhlman/Polcyn Charcuterie book up to
the point of putting them into the ziplock and burying
them in salt.  That was from the Nose To Tail Eating
by Fergus Henderson.

So my question is - I have never even seen salt cod,
I'm assuming that it should be a cured and somewhat
flat fillet with no give to it.  Correct?  Every
reference I've seen describes salt cod as looking like
bark.  Mine look like air-dried fillets and still have
some flexibility.  I may end up tossing the experiment
and starting all over again for food safety reasons as
I'm concerned the salt has not reached the middle of
the fillet quickly enough for preservation.

Eibhlin