[Sca-cooks] update on Master Joram Goldspoons and a plea

wildecelery at aol.com wildecelery at aol.com
Mon Jul 17 09:59:18 PDT 2006

From: GEastokes at aol.com

As always, please forgive the cross-posting, but I ask if you would kindly
forward this to other lists such as EK, cook's guild, Laurel, Maunche.

Joram has remained in the hospital for about 5 weeks now. It does not appear
that he will be able to go home anytime soon. His survival continues to
astound the doctors, but then, they don't know him very well. He still is not
doing
well, but he is back to accepting phone calls, so for those who would like to
try to call, please email me (the hospital is not giving out the number and we
have not managed to get that changed yet).
More particularly, he now really, really needs some visits. (Here comes the
plea) Especially on weekends, when there is nearly no staff on hand and it gets
very quiet there, but during the week, too. Now that he's conscious, out of
ICU, and awake more of the time, he is depressed, lonesome, in pain, and very,
very bored, as he can't get out of bed or sit up at this point in time. He can
read a little, but he's very weak. Having someone read to him is great.
Having someone reminisce about funny things that have happened in the past makes

him laugh. If you are anywhere within a couple hours of Boston and would be
willing to sacrifice some time (visits don't need to be too long), the best
thing
besides praying that we can do for him now is let him know that people still
care about him, haven't forgotten him, and won't forget him, even though this
l-o-n-g road with all its terrible ups and downs may go on for a lot longer.

Even if you hardly know him --or don't even know him --he would welcome a
visit to help pass the time. He is in the Farr building  of Beth Israel
Deaconess
Medical Center (off Brookline Ave.), on the 10th floor in Room 1002. There is
a website with maps, info about where the parking garages are, etc., or if
you want to, just email me and I can give you the particulars. If you go, do be
prepared for the fact he is very ill, very thin, and his beard is longer (and
has more white in it) --we have been teasing him that he looks like an Amish
farmer --just needs a hat. But it's still him inside there!

Joram gave the EK a great deal of his time and service and artistry and
humor. Please people, let us not leave him now thinking no one cares enough to
give
some time back to him. Help?

Thank you!!! ----------Asenath

Baroness Mistress Asenath Chamberly of Morrismount
mka Gail Eastwood-Stokes
GEastokes @ aol.com

"Let us read and let us dance - two amusements that will never do any harm to
the world."   -- Voltaire