[Sca-cooks] more spanish stuff: Limonada

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Tue Jul 18 18:48:03 PDT 2006

>From De Nola:
LIMONADA
Take blanched almonds and peel them, and grind them in a mortar, and
blend them with good hen's broth; and then take new raisins, and clean
them well of the seeds, and grind them by themselves and strain them
through a woolen cloth; and after they are strained, mix them with the
almonds, and put everything in the pot where it must cook; and put sugar
and a little ginger in that same way, and set it to cook, constantly
stirring it with a stick of wood. And when it is cooked, put a little
lemon juice, and then stir it a little with the wooden stirrer so that
the lemon juice is well-mixed within it. And then dish it out and cast
fine sugar on the dishes.

So, I took about 20 almonds and ground them up in a food processor.
Then I blended them with 1 cup water and 1/2 teaspoon chicken base (yes,
I'm lazy) and heated them up enough to combine.
I took about 2/3 cup of raisins and ground them in the food processor,
then mixed them in the broth/almond mixture, added 1 tsp salt and pinch
of ginger.
I heated it up and cooked it, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes,
or until it had thickened. Then I added 2 tsp of lemon juice and mixed
them in, and turned off the heat.

YUMMMM...
I need to grind the almonds smaller, though; they are too chunky. But
the raisins have a lemony taste to start with.

I could also see this being done with white grape juice instead of
raisins; it's not clear. I'll try that too. (Since it says new raisins,
and says to strain them through a woolen cloth, which I'm not sure is
possible with the ground raisins...)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net