[Sca-cooks] request for favorite recipes

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Jul 19 19:47:49 PDT 2006

Dan in Auburn asked:
  <<< A general question to everyone.  Has anyone of you compiled a
book of
your
faviorite recipes? I am new to period cooking but not new to cooking
for a
crowd.  I did a short stint as a cook in the air force.  The recipies
were
for servings of a hundered.  Any way I am looking for food that you have
cooked for events that works.  Also what type of kitchen do you have
to do
this in?  Some of the terms in the translated texts are pretty vauge.>>>

First, Welcome to this list, Dan in Auburn.

Not all of us cook large feasts. Many of us just cook individual
meals for ourselves or our families or cook items for pot lucks and
such.  I have cooked a lunch for the Ansteorran Royalty and their
entourage, but can't conceive of cooking a large feast. I don't have
that cooking experience.

You might be interested in glancing though the FEASTS section of the
Florilegium. Even from that you can see that there are a wide variety
of facilities that SCA feasts get cooked in. Everything from large
institutional kitchens to a couple of burners in an open field.
Sometimes food is cooked elsewhere, like home, and brought to the site.
fd-transport-msg  (16K)  3/20/03    Transporting cooked and prepared
food.
prim-sit-fsts-msg  (8K)  4/ 6/01    Preparing feasts at primative sites

warming-ovens-msg  (9K)  7/16/99    Using warming ovens for SCA feasts.
kitchen-clean-msg (14K)  7/16/06    Cleaning the kitchen after an SCA
event.

Some folks have even had the chance to cook in real medieval kitchens:
Kentwell-Hall-art (25K)  6/25/98    A period kitchen at a Living
History site.

Also in that section is a selection of the reports on various SCA
feasts, usually with menu and often with the original recipes and the
cook's redactions (interpretations).

 From time to time folks on this list have given some of their
favorite recipes. However, I usually have those in the other food
sections of the Florilegium, classified by the food item. So, if you
want to look at soups or breads or roast beef or chicken, you might
want to look through that particular file.

I hope this helps.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas