[Sca-cooks] Powerless Cookery or Cooking without the oven, lights or fridge

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Wed Jul 26 16:42:10 PDT 2006

The Detroit Free Press carried this article today in its food section.
I just thought it was funny and then remembering the extended power failures
and troubles all over the country I thought I'd mention it to the list.
Afterall I guess it is a new segment of cookbooks-- storm cuisine.

Johnnae

        Cookbooks help you dine well if the power goes out

July 26, 2006 BY ADRIAN SAINZ    ASSOCIATED PRESS

What can you do when the storm is long gone but the power is still out
and a glance into the pantry reveals paltry pickings: tins of tuna, a
jar of olives, a can of green beans, some oil and vinegar?

Some desperate souls, frustrated by the lack of refrigerated food or air
conditioning, would pick at the tuna or snack on the olives. Others
might waste precious gasoline by driving on hazardous roads in search of
more substantial eats.

Daphne Nikolopoulos makes Salade Nicoise, a recipe from her book "The
Storm Gourmet: A Guide to Creating Extraordinary Meals Without
Electricity" (Pineapple Press, $9.95 paperback).

SNIPPED other titles mentioned

"Apocalypse Chow: How to Eat Well When the Power Goes Out" by Jon
Robertson (Robertson, $12.95 paperback), stretches the same concept to
any post-disaster environment, such as blackouts, ice storms or tornadoes.

Lisa Dorfman, a registered dietitian who lived through 1992's Hurricane
Andrew and whose book "The Anti-Stress Diet" is set to come out in 2007,
said healthy eating and exercise could help disaster victims deal with
stress and trauma.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060726/FEATURES02/607260368&SearchID=73251870350541
also at
http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/15124091.htm