[Sca-cooks] OT Air Mattress (was Pennsic Pity Party)

Micaylah dy018 at ncf.ca
Thu Jun 1 14:52:49 PDT 2006

> Reindeer furs are warm, two of them on top och each other is
> quite a bit
> of insulation. When out winter camping I carry one thick (14mm) closed
> cell foam pad and one bull reindeer hide (untanned, fall butchered).
> That is plenty of insulation for underneath a sleeping bag. >>>
>
> Sounds good. But Reindeer furs, untanned or not, are rather hard to
> come by over here.

Its true. They might be marginally easier to acquire in Canada but they're
expensive. They very very rarely show up at Value Village or other gently
used store (as do sheep and goat), but if your not there the minute they
come out, you're s**t out of luck.

> <<< If it looks like a cold night one could allways heat a few rocks
> by the
> campfire and take to bed[1].
>
> [1] Fist size or somewhat larger, heat until they reach the
> "hot potato"
> stage, wrap in fabric (rags, spare socks, whatever) and place
> strategically (feet, behind back, etc). Lasts several hours. >>>
>
> Yes, this does work fairly well. However, it is rather important to
> avoid rocks that might absorb some moisture, such as sandstone.
> Otherwise this trick can get a bit too exciting.
> If you are concerned about these rocks being too hot, you can also
> use this technique to simply warm your bed and then remove the rocks
> and put them back around the fire.

I have an airbed so this option...isn't an option.

I too did a lot of survival camping and hiking around many native trails in
central Ontario Canada. I was a guide for a few summers as a summer job. I
like my comfort now after three decades of that sort of camping. Having
Fibromyalgia (and those pesky kidneys) does not allow me to sleep on the
ground...unless I have no plans of getting up the next day. lol

I do appreciate the ideas tho. Food for thought and all.

Micaylah