[Sca-cooks] Gawdawful spaghetti sauce- OOP

grizly grizly at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 2 07:19:51 PDT 2006

  Wow, the garlic and onion thing is tough.  Only recommendation I can come up with it to make a sort of modified mir poix with maybe celery, carrot and (if allowable) some cousin to the onions . . . maybe leeks or shallots.  Browning off the aromatics will give you some added flavors.  Also, add a dollop of tomato paste after the veggies start browning.  Sautee this up to get the depth of flavor from the browning sugars in the paste.  I find an herb blend of oregano, bay leaf, basil, rosemary, thyme and roasted garlic (I know it's forbidden) to be bright and complex enough to hold up to the tomato and reduce the salt I need.  I might even suggest hiding a pureed couple of rinsed olives and/or capers in the sauce to give it a mysterious hint of flavor.  Splash of wine could also help?

  Man, the whole no garlic and no onion does hit hard on the creativity of the habitual red gravy, huh?

  niccolo difrancesco
  (not even gonna suggest the 1/8 teaspoon of cocoa powder per gallon of sauce I sneak in every now and again . . . talk about subtle complexity and depth of flavor)