[Sca-cooks] Outlandish Seige contest - further thoughts

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 2 07:59:14 PDT 2006

Devra at aol.com wrote:
> Hm--- cubebs are round, with little tails on them, not small pointy
> things. Grains of paradise are small and brown, not black. Caraway are
> shaped a little like a canoe, with points on both ends, and stripey.
> Cardamon seeds --the pod is green and shaped like a very fat pepita
> seed, triangular (three sided).  The seeds are also long and thin,
> like a caraway sort of. Not black, anyway.
>
> I am still voting for nigella, whihc look like black sesame seeds.
>     Devra
I think we figured out that the critters were cubebs.  There was no
nigella in the spice box, I know that.

I love nigella seeds.  They are not really "peppery" so much as mild but
pleasant.  Mostly we see them imbedded in Armenian string cheese, the
kind that looks like a real braid of yarn;  and on top of Afgan flat
bread. I might strew them over a salad or creamy soup like a Vichyssoise
some time. They are often labelled as "Black Caraway" but are actually
unrelated.

Cheers, Selene