[Sca-cooks] Vegetarian Indian Protein

King's Taste Productions kingstaste at comcast.net
Fri Jun 2 08:38:47 PDT 2006

Ok, folks, I'm up against crunch time.
Starting Monday, I'm cooking 100 meals a day for 5 days, plus snacks for
an additional 96; all vegetarian, and following an international theme.
The diners are mostly ages 4-11, but also include some younger for
snacks and parents for lunches.  I have a notebook of over 30 recipes, a
budget of $1250.,  and hopefully I have developed a menu that will take
into account various allergies, provide enough variety that even the
pickiest eater will be able to love, and even plan on having pb&j +
sunflower butter (for peanut allergies) in the kitchen as a last-resort.

Gods bless Senora Serena for coming over and plugging my entire shopping
list into an Excell format that has made my life so much easier, and
THLady MolliRose who is planning on coming over to help me with the
afternoon classes where the kids will be helping me each day to make one
food for the next day.
Last night a comment from one of the teachers came through saying she
certainly hoped there would be no hydrogenated vegetable oils in any
crackers that might be used, and would that be appropriate for the
culture?  Also, the kids were hungry by snack time last year, they need
protein and fats rather than carbohydrates and sugars.  (Grrr, this
comment would have been much more helpful 2 weeks ago.) The menu they
gave me from last year was all sugary snacks, as well as being more food
because they didn't do lunch then (this is the first year they've tried
this).  I adapted it a lot, but left it in the same basic food groups.
My main issue is that I need a protein-ish addition for India.
Here are my snacks (question marks are possible additions -pending the
approval of more funds):
Monday
Friendship Fruit Salad  (goes along with a story about all the elements
being like the good behaviors in class)
String Cheese?

India
Garam Masala Spice Blend (kids will use mortar & pestle to grind and mix
this to take home)
Coconut Chutney (Uses a pinch of the spice blend they make)
Nan?

Japan
Asian Pears
Rice Crackers,
Japanese Lollipops (goes along with a story about the candyman coming to
town - not actually part of the snack)
Tofu Cutlets?  (marinated and baked - they dry out a bit and have a
texture similar to lunch meat)

Iraq
Hummous
Pita Bread - cut into triangles and toast

Guatemala
Corn Chips
Mango Salsa
Bean dip?
Hot Chocolate (blocks of Irrara chocolate, hot water, cinnamon)

I have me, one parent and one teenager to help me in the kitchen, which
is in the middle of the social hall in this church.  Two standard
home-style electric stoves with ovens, two standard refrigerators, not
much storage space.  Molli will be there in the afternoons to help me
with the class.

What can I use for some sort of protein for India?  I would think dal or
some other bean thing, but they are getting bean dip two other days.
Thanks all,
Christianna
aka Chef Christy!