[Sca-cooks] OOP: Frozen sauces

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 06:20:10 PDT 2006

Those are both interesting points.  I didn't see it as such and 10 years
ago (!), when I first prepared this, I didn't have any reason to doubt
Cindy's labeling and categories.  Didn't have 2 15th c. Cookery books at
the time, either.

Now, in defense of it as a sauce, if the original category was diverse
potages, we're not suggesting that people didn't dip things into their
potages, are we? :)  I know, a rather weak argument...but some have
interpreted Harleian 279 as a dessert, Curye on Inglysh has it as a
sauce for meat, and the discredited Fabulous Feasts has it as a sauce
for birds, correct?  Doesn't Pleyn Delit have it listed as a sauce as
well?  (No, I know it's not valid to bolster one redaction with another :) )

Duriel

Laura C. Minnick wrote:
> At 08:19 PM 6/2/2006, you wrote:
>
>> You mean other than the name?
>>
>> Duriel
>>
>>> A minor concern here.  From looking at the original source, I don't
>>> see anywhere that it suggests this be used as a sauce.  It reads more
>>> like a sort of pudding, similar to applemuse.  It is listed in "Take
>>> a Thousand Eggs" in the section on sauces, but I believe this is in
>>> error.
>>>

> Duriel, in the original text (_Two Fifteenth-Century Cookery Books_, which
> is open on my lap at the moment) the word 'sauce' is not used. The dish is
> simply called 'Strawberye', and is grouped with 'Potage Dyvers'. It was the
> editors of _1000 Eggs_ that added the 'sauce' to the title.
>
> 'Lainie

Tom Vincent