[Sca-cooks] Reindeer was Air Mattress (was Pennsic Pity Party)

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Sat Jun 3 08:52:53 PDT 2006

Daniel  Phelps <phelpsd at gate.net> [2006.06.03] wrote:
> the TexRenn.  Some one asked me why they were so cheap, my answer....
> Chernobyl.  It the accident had occurred in the recent past and I understood
> that the herds were culled pretty heavily due to contamination.  Thus the
> hide that would keep you warm... just might warm you up. :-)

Not quite. What happened (at least here in Sweden, where most of the
fallout ended up) was that lichen have a tendency to accumulate Cs-137.
And reindeer lives to a large extent on lichen. Thus a large portion of
the herds had to be culled (meat not suitable for human consumption).
The hides should be perfectly fine for sleeping on occationally, and
probably even if you used it for bedding every day until the fur wore
out (say a year or so).

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Two's company. Three or more is a breach of the Sexual Offences Act 1967