[Sca-cooks] Pennsic on a shoestring

Sharon Gordon gordonse at one.net
Sat Jun 3 10:05:48 PDT 2006

I was talking with a couple of people going to Pennsic this year who are on a really tight budget.  They asked me if they cooked all their food in camp and brought food and firewood from home, if they could eat for $10 each per week.  I told them I doubted it, but I thought they could do it for $15 each if they could get access to water filtered at Pennsic and didn't have to buy bottled water.  That's assuming they got all their food on sale and only used their cooler for the first day or two with ice brought from home.

They would like to stick to pre 1600s ingredients and medievalish style dishes even though that would mean doing without potatoes which would otherwise be a big help in unrefrigerated frugality and camp cooking.

They have a dehydrator.  They know how to make bread, and I could pass along some sourdough starter for them to take and to experiment with before they go.  I've got plenty of fresh herbs in the garden which I could share and they could dry.

Foods that are frugal here when on sale include
Lentils
Dried peas
Whole chicken
Eggs
Carrots
Cabbage
Onions
Flour
Sugar
Cucumbers
Apples
Grapes
Raisins
Oranges
Lemons
Pasta
Tuna

Is there a place around Pennsic that has chicken for under .60 a pound or fish for 1.00 or less a pound?  If not they could have chicken just the first two days by bringing it frozen from home unless someone else had room to bring another one up midweek.

Are there any pick your own farms in the area?  So far I have only come across farm stands with fairly high prices near Pennsic.

What things would be good to make?  So far I've thought of
Cold sage chicken made at home and frozen
  (I don't have the recipe for that  to pass along though.)
Bread and fruit
Omlettes with onions and herbs
Raisin bread

What else would be good?