[Sca-cooks] OOP: Frozen sauces

Tom Vincent Tom.Vincent at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 3 13:22:05 PDT 2006

Daniel Myers wrote:
>> Ok, first thing:  Harlein ms. 279 is the manuscript that the recipe
>> was found in, not the designation of the recipe itself.  If you want
>> to be more precise than "Strawberye" then I'd suggest something like
>> "recipe 123 of  Harlein ms. 279".

D: Of course.  I was 'shorthanding' it, just as I didn't mention the
page in Fab Feasts.
> The title given to that particular section of the cookbook is indeed
> "Potage Dyvers", but there are a substantial number of recipes in
> that section that clearly are not soups (including a couple of blanc
> mangers, apple muse, and venison with frumenty).  And yes, stating
> that people might have dipped things in their soup is a weak
> argument.  They might have poured it on the floor and licked it off
> their feet as well.

D:  No need for silliness (though I have met some ladies I'd love
to...well, never mind ;> ).  They were called 'sops' for a reason, you know.

> Curye on Inglysh gives the equivalent recipe as follows:
> Freseys.  Streberyen igrounden wyth milke of alemauns, flour of rys
> othur amydon, gret vlehs, poudre of kanele & sucre; the colur red, &
> streberien istreyed abouen.
> [I've substituted "th" for thorn in the above to make it easier on
> email clients]
>
> Nothing in Curye on Inglysh suggests this is a sauce.  Pleyn Delit
> and Fabulous Feasts are both secondary sources, and unless they point
> out a different primary source are pretty much irrelevant on this.
>
> I'm not denying that it might be very very nice as a sauce.  That's
> not the point at all.  Marinara sauce is very nice on eggplant, but
> it's not medieval.  We have no evidence at all that it was used as a
> sauce, we have a lot that implies it was eaten as a sort of pudding,
> regardless of how "Take a Thousand Eggs" chooses to label it.
>
> - Doc

D:  And all that certainly makes sense.  It might have been a soup, it
might have been a pudding-ish thing, it might have been a sauce.  I
would say that was probably all of those things...and maybe even a
Medieval foot-fetishist's foreplay lotion. :)

--
Tom Vincent