[Sca-cooks] OOP: Frozen sauces

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jun 3 18:40:31 PDT 2006

I keep wondering about the precise usage of "pottage," which is the Middle
English form of the French "potage."  The most literal translation of the
word is "that which goes in a pot."  The use of the term strictly as soup
appears to start in the 17th Century, but I haven't chased it thoroughly.
I'm also curious as to pottage's relation with porray and porridge.

Bear