[Sca-cooks] sops

Gretchen Beck grm at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jun 5 09:44:15 PDT 2006

--On Monday, June 05, 2006 9:31 AM -0700 tom.vincent at yahoo.com wrote:

> They're two different recipes, as is shown by the different ingredients
> and references.  The one doesn't reference sops, it is a recipe for sop.
> It references bread, which is an ingredient.  It is not a recursive
> recipe.

According to the OED a sop is both the bread used to sop up liquid, and
corresponding with that, the liquid used to dress a sop.  That certainly
reflects what I've seen of recipes that use the word sop. The quoted
recipes may not be recursive, but the sop reference itself certainly is.
The sop is both the bread and the mess that goes with it -- but I don't
think it's can properly be called a sop without the bread. Notice that both
the original recipes quotes use toasted white bread in a very specific way.

toodles, margaret