[Sca-cooks] Remove vs Course

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 5 11:30:15 PDT 2006

Greetings!  Lisabetta noted that in her area most folk used the term
"remove" for "course" and Mairi gave a link to one version of the article I
wrote years ago.  (You can find a similar article on my web page which is
posted below my signature.)  How about if you began your own quiet campaign
to educate your region?  See if your kingdom newsletter - or any arts
newsletter - would like to print the article.  I will give permission!

It's really hard changing people's perception of what they think is
"period" but most people persist in using incorrect terminology not out of
meanness but out of lack of factual information.  It is a fact that
"remove" never meant "course" and indeed, meant something much different.
And, it is a fact that "remove" didn't come into the terminology of the
meal until the early 1700s as noted in the article.  With patience and
persistence, you could quietly educate your area about something that was
truly period!

Alys Katharine

Elise Fleming
alysk at ix.netcom.com