[Sca-cooks] sops

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Mon Jun 5 14:20:37 PDT 2006

Not to say I dont believe you, but....
Can you give a citation please?

(because in the 16th it clearly meant insect Larva:
A quick check of Shakespeare yeilded this from
Loves Labour Lost:
Biron: Taffeta phrases, silken terms precise,
Three-piled hyperboles, spruce affectation,
Figures pedantical; these summer-flies
Have blown me full of maggot ostentation:
I do forswear them; and I here protest,

According to my American Heritage Dictionary, here
on my desk, MAGGOT is MIDDLE ENGLISH in origin,
which predates your 18th century usage by some 400
years at least.

SO, Please tell me whence you have derived this
assertion.

Capt Elias
Dragonship Haven, East
(Stratford, CT, USA)