[Sca-cooks] remove vs course

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 19:17:22 PDT 2006

Greetings,

One of the terms being bandied about here as "non Period", namely
Autocrat is actually perfectly period and very tongue-in-cheek
appropriate in the application that it is utilized in the SCA. The
true definition is as such:

1 : a person (as a monarch) ruling with unlimited authority
2 : one who has undisputed influence or power

the term goes all the way back to ancient greece in the form of
autokratôr. And pretty much means the person who is in charge
completely and utterly (a synonym for tyrant).

Seeing that our events and the position have no real parallel in
period, it seems a bit absurd (to me) to argue what the most
appropriate term is for the position.

And I think it is a pretty funny term. But those are just my two cents.

Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva