[Sca-cooks] remove vs course

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 5 21:39:27 PDT 2006

"Chass Brown" <chass at allegiance.tv> wrote:
>Here in good old Ansteorra we hear on a regular basis
>Remove
>Autocrat
>Feast-o-crat
>Troll
>As well as a few others :)

I'm here in the good old West - and no kingdom is older :-)

I rarely hear "remove" - it is thankfully dying out. I've only ever
used "course".

"Autocrat" is a standard, and other than "event manager" or "event
administrator", i'm not sure what would be a good, brief, snappy, and
concise word for the job. Any suggestions *that are likely to catch
on* (i've heard some unwieldy terms suggested)?

That abomination "feast-o-crat" (i shudder to type it) is also dying
away, what a relief. I can understand how the word arose, but there
are better ones... Head Cook is commonly, but not exclusively used.
There are some other good "period" terms.

I don't hear "Troll" at all, well, maybe once a year (and we have an
awful lot of events - nearly every weekend throughout the year there
is something not too far away). We call it "Gate".

We have people still playing here who were at the very first birthday
party. And even they learn new words, although it can take some
practice :-)

Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
the persona formerly known as Anahita
-- who attended her first SCA event in 1969 or 70, but has only been
an active and paying member for 7 years
--

Ride your camel to Dar Anahita
http://home.earthlink.net/~lilinah