[Sca-cooks] remove vs course

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Jun 5 22:54:54 PDT 2006

>I have those to say of my 24 years and 10 months of being in the
>sca, very very very very rarely have I seen the term course used
>instead of remove.

I've been in the SCA somewhat longer than that, and although I
haven't kept count I wouldn't be in the least surprised if "remove"
was used more often than "course." But I'm not sure why that is
relevant. I thought it was obvious from Huette's comment that she
knew that "remove" was often used in the SCA to mean "course," and
her point was that it shouldn't be, since "remove" was not a word
used to mean "course" in our period.

Two possibilities occur to me.

1. Your point is that people in the SCA wouldn't routinely use it
unless it were historically correct. I would expect that after 24
years plus in the SCA you would be unlikely to believe that, since
the SCA is and always has been a mix of historically accurate and
historically inaccurate beliefs and practices.

2. You think that what defines correct and incorrect usage isn't
historical usage at all, but usage in our subculture. That's the
attitude I sometimes parody as "Of course it's period--we've been
doing it for years." It's not an attitude I associate with the south,
but I only spent a few years in Meridies and didn't travel much so
might easily be mistaken.
--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com