[Sca-cooks] remove vs course

Saint Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Jun 6 05:44:14 PDT 2006

On 6/6/06, Adele de Maisieres <ladyadele at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>
> >"Autocrat" is a standard, and other than "event manager" or "event
> >administrator", i'm not sure what would be a good, brief, snappy, and
> >concise word for the job. Any suggestions *that are likely to catch
> >on* (i've heard some unwieldy terms suggested)?
> >

> Steward (say it again!)

Why? I don't like Steward. I particularly don't like it when ir gets
attached to other words- feast steward, hell steward, event steward. Of the
three, it works best as "hall steward", but I like autocrat for the person
running the event- standing alone, avoiding all the other 'crats, it's a
quick and easy term that designates he/she who is there to make sure the
event goes reasonably smoothly- site fees are paid, licenses (as needed)
purchased, rules are followed, areas are designated, and so forth. Of
course, you could use the term I insisted on when I became Head of Household
for SPCA- Chief Cat Wrangler- but that's a bit unweildy, and might cause the
autocrat some difficulty when necessary to deal with any authorities that
might show up at the event for some reason ;-) They may not entirely
understand autocrat, but at least it sounds reasonably professional. Of
course, there's "mayor", which is used at Pennsic, but that really works
better at a long event at Pennsic, where you have, in essence, a small city.
But, I still prefer autocrat.

As far as the kitchen goes, I prefer "Head Cook" as an easy description of
what's happening- short, simple, and to the point, for someone who
coordinates all the food, and with luck, finds a few minutes to go hands on
with a dish or three. It also allows implication of teaching the staff to do
things properly, something that Adamantius often does, and which is how it
worked out at my feast- I would start a project, folks would appear to help,
I'd show them what I was doing, then leave them to it and start on the next
project. Cooking, teaching, and coordinating all in one- what can be better
than that? ;-)

Some terms just make me smile- "Troll" is one of them, being a mild pun on
"toll". Portacastle's another. But, Dragon is just jarring- was when I first
heard it- still is to this day. What do we call a motorcycle, then, a
wyvern?

Merchant works fine for me. I have rarely heard "Merchant's Row", but
instead have heard "merchant area" or simply, "up by the merchants".

So, getting all full of yourselves about using absolutely period terms for
various functions is fine, but if people don't like them, or just prefer the
terms they've been using to the terms you want them to use, you aren't going
to get very far. Please keep that in mind as you make your decrees.

Saint Phlip

Don't like getting old? Beats the Hel out of the alternative.

The purpose of life is not to arrive at the grave, a beautiful corpse,
pretty and well-preserved, but to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, proclaiming, "Wow! What a ride!"